Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Bike Ride

When my sister Beryl sent me the story of The Tea Cup, which was posted on July 27, 2008, I promised to find and send her a similar beautiful metaphor about Life and the Love of God. Our daughter-in-law Missy found me a version on the Internet. I also found a version, but each version had been modified to suit a particular viewpoint. So I have taken the liberty to reword it here and there.

The Bike Ride
Author unknown

When I first met Jesus, life became rather like a bike ride. It was a tandem bike; I rode in the front and steered...Jesus rode in the rear and helped pedal.

I always knew He was there, but sometimes I got distracted by the journey and forgot. On ocassion, when the trip became difficult, Jesus would lean forward and gently place His hand on my shoulder and remind me ..."I'm still here." I grew to love and expect His gentle touch...those little reminders of his presence. Sometimes, when a hill loomed in front of me, I could actually feel Him helping to pedal all the way to the top. I learned to expect His help. One time, when things became really difficult I felt comfortable turning and asking..."What should I do now?". He smiled and respond quietly ..."just pedal".

I don't remember just when it happened, but one day Jesus suggested that we change places. Life hasn't been the same since.

I felt comfortable when I was in control. I generally knew the way; I always took the safe and predictable routes. I was always looking for the short-cuts. It was generally boring. But when Jesus got on the front seat, He knew delightful "long-cuts" up mountain roads and down again at breakneck speed. It was all I could do to hold on. I didn't want to question His judgement, but once I could not help myself. "Don't You think we should slow down just a little? I'm scared." He turned...smiled...touched my hand and said... "You're OK...just pedal."

At first I didn't trust Jesus to be in control of my life. I thought He would wreck it. Sometimes I got worried and anxious and asked, "Where are you taking me?" He would laugh and say "It's a surprise". Sometimes I could not resist asking, "Are we there yet?"...He would smile and say... "Not yet".

Gradually I learned to trust. I'm learning not to worry. I'm even learning not to want to get back in control. I 'm learning to relax...to enjoy the ride...and the view...the cool breeze on my face...and the delightful company of my constant companion...Jesus.

I still get tired sometimes, because it isn't easy; it really is a long, hard ride. But Jesus is always there with me...He always smiles and says..."Just pedal".

2 comments:

Missy W. said...

I love it! Good job :)

Missy W. said...

Tony, your profile says you met Kathie in 1864. Now it may have felt like 1864, but I'm certain it wasn't!