Sunday, May 31, 2009

Politics 101

As you know I have been attending 9/12 meetings in Providence. The objective of the group appears to be to get qualified people to run for political office at every level.

The group has been encouraged to read Skousan's "5000 Year Leap". On page 49 he says..."The natural tendency of all people is to encourage others to run for office, but not get involved themselves."

On May 22, 2009, Logan City placed an add in the Herald Journal, calling for applicants to fill the vacancy on the City Council created by the resignation of Steve Thompson.

So on May 27 I submitted my name a candidate to fill that vacancy. The appointment would only be till January 31, 2009. That means that there will be an election this fall to fill that seat and another seat which will be vacated by Tami Pyfer.

The City Council will meet on June 5 to make their decision. I know each of the council members except Lorraine Swenson. Apparently she thinks that whoever is appointed should not be permitted to run in the next election, because the experience gained in filling the interim seat would be an unfair advantage. Other council members think that the council has no business telling anyone what they may or may not do politically. I think I would agree with the majority position.

I sent an email to each of the council members. Jay Monson, Herm Olsen and Tammy Pyfer responded positively, but I have not had responses from Lorraine or Steve Thompson. Steve would support me to the other council members. He is a democrat, but interestingly to me he is extremely conservative...possibly the most conservative on the City Council. He and Tami supported our neighborhood on the power plant issue. None of the other council members were serving at that time.

We will let you know if Popa T is a politician soon. Of course it would be hard to be disappointed were I not selected.

No comments: