Monday, June 29, 2009

The ELECTRIC LIME Purse

Kathie purchased a bright lime green leather purse this spring. She has received lots of positive comments from family, friends and even strangers. It really is attractive and she has matched it with ensembles which show the purse off with great effect. During a recent trip to visit Shelly and Rich, in Minnesota, Logan 9, who views the world from within a slightly different paradigm, dubbed the purse..."grandma's ELECTRIC LIME purse". That was so perceptive...so creative. It stuck.

Like many men I have a genuine phobia about carrying women's purses. Kathie says I'm insecure about my masculinity. It must be so, because it almost makes my skin crawl to be caught holding Kathie's purse...anytime...anywhere. I feel like an idiot...look like an idiot. Kathie, on the other hand, absolutely delights in putting me in such situations.

For example...last Sunday...we were at Church...walking out of Sacrament Meeting...headed to the priesthood room where I was to teach a Family History class. Kathie said..."Please hold my purse". Apparently the horrified look on my face gave me away, because she said..."Look...it is only 30 feet to the classroom door...I have to go...I'll be back in a minute...just take it to the classroom for me...please...you can do it."

So the old male brain quickly surveyed the situation and the terrain...it was the ELECTRIC LIME purse...we were the first out of the Chapel...the coast was clear...it looked safe enough...and it was only 30 feet. So I clutched the purse fearlessly to my chest...and obediently moved forward.

I actually made it to the classroom undetected and was just putting the purse on a chair in the front of the room when I heard a sweet feminine voice say "Nice purse Tony". I was busted...and speechless. I looked up just in time to see Joann Karren's smiling face pass the door frame.

I tell you...its a female conspiracy.

5 comments:

Missy W. said...

I'm not sure what your problem is, I would love to be caught holding that purse. I think it's divine :) wink :)

Shelly Johnston said...

Yes, Papa, that purse is wonderful! But Logan wants you to know that it is the Electric Lime purse! He saw the title and immediately knew what purse it was.... Logan would LOVE to carry that purse for Grandma! He said to tell you that you are "lucky" to be able to hold the Electric Lime purse!

Benji and Anne King said...

I don't remember this purse, but I loved that blog. It is so true! Benji always feels awkward holding my purses, and though I like to think I don't want to make him feel awkward, in all reality I do get a kick out of it. haha.

Also, thanks for your comment on my blog about freedom!

tayler said...

haha! that is so funny! I love you logan!

Angie said...

I think she loves you to Dada!! Love that story... especially because I can totally see your face when you heard that comment... the head drop... the eye roll... the whole bit!!