Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Global Positioning Systems

M Russell Ballard is well known for his late-in-life adoption of technology and his encouragement of the application of technology in the Church.  He made a great statement during the April 2012 Conference:

"I think I know why Lehi was greatly astonished when he first saw the Liahona, because I remember my reaction when I first saw and witnessed a GPS unit. In my mind it was a modern-day device “of curious workmanship.” Somehow, in some way I can’t even imagine, this little device, right in my phone, can pinpoint exactly where I am and tell me exactly how to get where I want to go."

Elder Ballard continued: "For both my wife, Barbara, and me, the GPS is a blessing. For Barbara it means she doesn’t have to tell me to stop and ask for directions; and for me it means I can be right when I say, “I don’t need to ask anyone. I know exactly where I’m going.”"

I decided that I need one of those things. 

Last week I asked my good friend Gerry Wallace if he had a portable GPS unit.  He said  "Oh yes...and I love it."  Then he told me about his conversation with the salesman about the various GPS models available.  Not being all that tech savvy, he listened politely without much comprehension and finally asked..."do you have the one in which a lady talks to you and tells you things like ...turn right in 2.1 miles?"  The sales clerk assured him that they had verbal command GPS units.

Gerry responded..."That's great... that's what I need.  I've always had a lady telling me where to go, so I thought that model would probably make me feel the most comfortable." 

2 comments:

Angie said...

Love it Dad... but one question... do you have another wife named Barbara that we don't know about?? :)

Missy W. said...

The space between those two paragraphs 'got' me too :)

i had to read it again to realize that he was still quoting the apostle!